[X3D-Public] Open-Source Multi-User

Russ Kinter pyth7 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 12:20:50 PST 2010

Hello,
Since there have been a spate of posts on multi-user systems,  I'll toss in
to the ring some development screen shots for an upcoming release for an
open-source multi-user system that uses Instant Player with it's extensive
Sun Java EAI capabilities.
http://www.sevenemeraldtablets.net/DeepMatrixIP9_Screenshots/DeepMatrixIP9-d
evelopment-shots.html

The MU client uses the old Deep Matrix applet re-written as a stand-alone
Java application with many new blaxxun-type features. It works on Mac -I
test its shared events using an IMac G5 for a second window- and possibly on
linux though I don't have a linux system to test with.

Prominent among new features are:
Server based persistent storage for shared events.
Shared events that can be locked/controlled by one particular user.
Back-pack object demo, where objects can be added and subtracted to the
scene graph and manipulated and their states saved to the server in the
style of blaxxun community server back-pack objects. Objects can have shared
events as well.

The initial release will include EAI code for use by FreeWRL, although
FreeWRL is not currently robust enough to handle it.
I also imagine it would be possible to get the client working with Xj3D's
external SAI.

Thanks,
Russ Kinter

"All the fires of Cain's motivation cannot burn a love that's sound." -
Stacy Sutherland