[X3D-Public] Bringing new things to older models.

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Mon Jan 25 13:43:23 PST 2010

Hello all;

Someone made the comment last week on one of our teleconference calls,
"the problem with old models being rendered is that they still look
old..."

While not commenting on the archival and re-use benefits of having
models last more than the proverbial week or so, it is a good point to
ponder.

While re-organizing some files today I came across a phong vs gouraud
shading test I wrote a while ago; here it is uploaded to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sQim6FEZ-Q

Not the greatest quality compared to the original screen, but
hopefully you can see the difference. On the gouraud shaded Cylinder,
you can see the triangles that make up the shape, while on the phong
shaded one, they are minimized.

So, if an old model is rendered using a more-computationally expensive
shading algorithm, would it help in making older models look more
modern?

Thoughts, Comments??

Thanks;

John A. Stewart
Team Leader: Networked Virtual and Augmented Reality
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
         Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
          Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
          Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca