[X3D-Public] Web3D X3D Progress, Prospects slideset from Web3D/SIGGRAPH conferences

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Jul 31 18:12:46 PDT 2010

Now online is the slideset on Web3D X3D Progress and Prospects
that I used during the Web3D/SIGGRAPH conferences in Los Angeles
last week.  I hope this provides a good overview and snapshots
of the tons of activity going on.  No doubt more will be added
to the website next week as everyone arrives safely back home.

http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman/BrutzmanWeb3dX3dProgressProspectsSiggraphJuly2010.pdf

It was great to see so many good friends and new people there:
- Over 50 people at the Web3D Conference
- Turnouts at the BOF meetings for Carto/X3D-Earth, Medical, CAD,
	Korea Chapter (3 hours) and Web3D Consortium New Initiatives
	attendance was over 20 for each  session
- Over 100 people at the X3D-HTML5 BOF
- Over 130 people at the X3D Tech Talk (90+ minutes)
- lots of visitors to Web3D Booth on  show floor

Hmmm how about some simple rough-guess spreadsheet arithmetic...
Not counting show-floor visitors to the Web3D Consortium booth,
the above estimates add up to quite a lot of intellectual brain power
thinking about X3D Graphics over the last week:

	1160 person-hours
	 145 person-days  (assume 8 hours per day)
	   7 work-months (assume 20 workdays per month) !!!

Biggest thanks go to Anita Havele our Web3D Executive Director for
her tireless efforts throughout.  Lots of other people contributed
in many ways, far too many to list here - thanks everyone.  Peter
Schickel BitManagement showed particularly impressive demos of
high-resolution city renderings utilizing multiple-standard inputs.
Steve Guynup pulled together the Web3D Art exhibition, cool poster too.
Leonard Daly and Dick Puk ensured many events were supported correctly.
Jeff Malnick and Jeff Weekley recorded HD video of ~30 presentations.
Special mention for Johannes Behr and his team from Fraunhofer,
since their X3DOM demos were also the hit of the WebGl meeting.   :)

Marcelo Zuffo, Nicholas Polys and I are working on needed commitments
for the Web3D Conference 2011 to be held in Paris France next spring.
Web3D members are also planning on lots of activity at SIGGRAPH Asia
in Seoul Korea this December, SIGGRAPH 2011 in Vancouver Canada, and
SIGGRAPH/Web3D 2012 back in Los Angeles.

With so many people pulling together towards shared success, it's
a great time to be working on X3D graphics and a ton of fun too!
I hope that these conference snapshots are useful, and also hope
that everyone gets to attend our future events.

Many thanks to all contributors.  Comments welcome, have fun with X3D!

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman