[X3D-Public] how about making X3D working group more open?

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sat Jun 19 21:48:44 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 12:26 -0700, Don Brutzman wrote:
> X3D Community colleagues:
>
> In recent months I've been thinking that we might improve public
> participation in the X3D development process by making the
> X3D working group much more open.  We do want more engagement.
> The basic idea is that Web3D membership rights and privileges
> would still pertain, but public visibility and comment on X3D
> issues of interest would reinvigorate our efforts.

A fine idea and something I've been promoting for years (that is, ever
since it closed itself off).

As it stands, as a nonmember I'm not even allowed to provide feedback
(that was requested of me, no less) on Mantis issues I initiated.

> We also want to increase Web3D membership, not reduce it.  So opening
> up X3D visibility might improve everyone's understanding of the many
> valuable results that the X3D process provides.  Membership still remains
> a prerequisite under the by-laws for voting and decisions.  Of note
> is that the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) opened up participation
> in the HTML5 working group while retaining all other membership rules.

>From my perspective, I'm offering my expertise to the Consortium.  At
times that's been welcomed; at other times it's been rebuffed.  I'm not
going to pay for the privilege of not having that offer rebuffed.  It's
not that important to me; and if the Consortium isn't interested in my
opinions, I'm not going to force the issue.

Also, note that *long* before HTML5 was a twinkle in anyone's eye, the
W3C HTML working group solicited public comment on its output *and
committed to following up on those comments with the resolutions made
public*.  And they did, too.  Even this sort of measure would be a big
step forward for the Web3D Consortium.

As for increasing membership, what does the Consortium have to offer?
Voting on (and eligibility for) governance is nice and all; but not
something I'm willing to pay $100 for.  (This is something that would be
more valuable if the W3DC appeared more influential.)

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>