[X3D-Public] anyone want to do 3D email?

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 23:13:22 PDT 2010

Interestingly enough, I still read my email from my desktop.  Whether that's Windows XP Outlook 2007 or Mac OS X Mail.  I think the key to this however, is authoring.  What's the most easy to use technology for composing a 3D email message on a cell phone/iPod/iPad/tablet?  Does X3D-Edit run on android yet? I'm not expecting people to use EAI or any textual description of the scene graph (maybe in a palette).  Sure, we'll support 3D text.  Perhaps that would be the first thing to do.

Now I do my market research.  Look at this: http://www.3dmailbox.com/  for $30 I can have 3D mail. Wonder why it got bad reviews: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/07/19/3d-mailbox-so-bad-its-bad/   Hint, the review is better than the software--which doesn't run on Mac OS X.

Is it true that apple will support WebGL/HTML5 inside Mail?  What's the delivery date?  Perhaps Apple will solve the authoring issue by enhancing Dashcode?  Does Dashcode run on the iPhone/iPad yet?

John