[X3D-Public] 3D Databases?

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 1 23:42:45 PDT 2010

I've seen database query languages that serve up nice plots (not sure if there are any 3D plots...mostly 2D--unless you count color as one or more dimensions).  There's a patent on it, but there's also previous work: see DBD::Chart and DBIx::Chart (perl modules).  The key is to both provide an API and a query language I believe.  Just looking up geometric queries, it looks like you would need a GPU, perhaps several on your server to provide fast search.

You've probably seen this demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKphYfUk-M  wonder what the database behind this is.
John