[X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)

Chris Thorne dragonmagi at gmail.com
Sun May 2 17:35:05 PDT 2010

On 2 May 2010 19:50, Christoph Valentin <christoph.valentin at gmx.at> wrote:

>  Thanks for the technical hints.
>
> And yes: if I were important, I would second your statement that a
> standardized protocol/interface between client and server would be an asset
> for X3D.
>
> However, commercial companies usually do
>     - what the customer wants
>     - what is the cheapest
> (in this order)
>
> And as long as the customers (i.e. content authors) do not insist in a
> standardized protocol, there won't be a standardized protocol.
>
> it's that easy, imho. Please correct me, if I'm not aware of some details
> of the X3D history, since I'm more or less a newbie.

That's basically the way it has gone historically. There appeared to be
little will among the Browser vendors to collectively agree on and work on a
standardised sensor node and protocol. It may also be that my expectations
for real progress to an agreed standard in a 2 year time frame was
unrealistic. Anyway, status quo seems a little better but nowhere near [my]
original target, and I have moved on.

best of luck,

chris

http://www.vrshed.com