[X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)

Russ Kinter pyth7 at verizon.net
Sun May 2 20:37:54 PDT 2010

  _____

From: Chris Thorne [mailto:dragonmagi at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2010 8:35 PM
To: Christoph Valentin
Cc: Russ Kinter; x3d-public at web3d.org
Subject: Re: [X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)
There appeared to be little will among the Browser vendors to collectively
agree on and work on a standardised sensor node and protocol. It may also be
that my expectations for real progress to an agreed standard in a 2 year
time frame was unrealistic. Anyway, status quo seems a little better but
nowhere near [my] original target, and I have moved on.

[Russ Kinter] But at the end of the day what remains of the VRML/X3D
community now has an open-source Node standard that really isn't
open-source.
Do you really believe that the two biggest and strongest players BSContact
and Octaga with their own protocols are going play nice and help establish
one protocol in the future?
What possible motivation would they have for doing so?
Maybe it is a way to force customers who use their MU servers to buy the new
version, because the latest versions of the clients won't handle the old
protocol?
Now that's a sure way to gain and keep brand/format loyalty.