[X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue May 4 15:00:28 PDT 2010

"To my thinking: the same motivation one would have to support openGL :
increased portability and interoperability makes business sense to me."

Mine too.  Portability of content is what I want.   As the artist, I don't
WANT to pick the radios.

Art production requires lots of time in.  For the time in to pay out,
content has to be resilient to shocks from the browser.  That makes it hard
to host and rehost anything but video.   Some really easy to apply interface
widgets can greatly improve productivity but are costly to experiment with
on the host given the distribution of the host.   Software kudzu.    One
response is to identify and reward the strengths of the software instead of
working to perfect the deficits, in this case, take advantage of X3D's
relative isolation and agree quickly to build widgets that DO reduce the
authoring load and are sharable among the local software ecosystem.

VRML/X3D browser vendors should be collapsing the space for ease of
authorship * maintenance, or roughly, how much time can be spent making new
assets vs maintaining viable stock resources.

Ultimately content domains like biological domains cohere in the face of
novelty through practice, memory and feedback.   A framework of response
domains maps the services to the organizations that perform them in response
to the panarchies that authorize them in response to the event/incident
type.  That is the key to resilience.

len