[X3D-Public] ANN: Deep MatrixIP9 1.01 Open-source Multi-user System

Russ Kinter pyth7 at verizon.net
Sun May 23 11:24:24 PDT 2010

[Russ Kinter] Thank you for the kind words Lars!

> 1) Is there any hope to make the whole thing be web-starteable? E.g. as
> a java app started from a web-browser, that detect whether
> InstantReality or any other working vrml-browser is available and then
> opens the world using that? I guess packaging is high priority one
> people want to publish their Deep-MatrixIP-based worlds.
[Russ Kinter] That is a very good question for which I have no solid answer
because I have not researched it yet, however I will try an educated guess:
The two applications - the Deep Matrix client and Instant Player are started
up by a simple batch or bash script. If that script can be made
web-starteable, then yes. Putting it another way, -if the XJ3D Demo can be
started from a web-browser to view a VRML or X3D world, then I think the
answer would be yes for the Deep Matrix client as well.

> 2) Has anyone done scaleability tests yet? Number of polygons still
> useable on standard clients etc?
[Russ Kinter] The server and client are old fashioned -still rooted in
traditional server - client sockets, so sadly scaleability is only as good
as the server can handle. Although, the idea had come to me this morning to
have a simple Proto instance in a world that would hold a new server IP
number and port, so when the world was loaded it would simply switch to a
new server. It would operate very much like the old Cybertown portal world
did on the bxx developer server -when you entered that portal world you
connected with the Cybertown server and disconnected from the developer's
server. I am not sure how the "number of polygons" would play a part.
This is not server based scripting like SecondLife at all. Everything is
client-side (as it should be).
Musing and speculating further, it IS open-source. So I see no reason why
other open-source Java server programs with more advanced server client
systems (i.e. Wonderland) could not be integrated or replace the current
system. Java IS Java and now the whole field of open-source Java code is
available to be exploited by a VRML/X3D client.

> 3) I see the foundation for people building vrml-worlds and connecting
> them here. Now deep-matrix brings the client to do
> client-server-communication. The next step would probably separate the
> client libs from the server, so that people can install the libraries as
> an extension of their vrml-browser and open and explore any world
> speaking the same protocols?
[Russ Kinter] Well they could - the DM server is included so users could run
it from their home systems and by changing the local IP number give other
users access to it from the internet. Rick Kimball had something very
interesting set up for VNet+ back in the day. The VNet+ server on start up
would connect with his site and post its IP number for users to visit. It is
something I am very much considering adding and Rick's VNet+ server code is
open-source.

> Thank you for providing us with this code! Cheers,
>
> Lars.
[Russ Kinter] Thank you again for the thumbs up and the feed back!