[X3D-Public] Any way to get 'this' proto instance inside itself?

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Mon Nov 1 08:44:06 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 17:49 +0300, Bederov, Sergey wrote:
> Braden,
>
> > Once interfaces are mapped with IS, you just route to the
> > internal  interface.  Events sent to the interface will be
> > reflected in the PROTO's (IS'd) interface.
>
> Are you sure this will always work?

"Always" is a loaded term. :-)

I don't know of a reason why it *shouldn't* work.

> Actually it's creating a ROUTE
> between nodes in different namespaces, in different "universes". Whether
> this will work may depend on the implementation. Is this behavior
> clearly supported by the specification?

I would think that any node available to a script inside a PROTO
definition has already been injected into the PROTO definition's
run-time name scope; e.g., via one of the PROTO instance's interfaces.
I don't see this example of this clearly articulated in the spec; but I
think it's analogous to the situation with IMPORT (which is mentioned in
4.4.7).

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>