[X3D-Public] Any way to get 'this' proto instance inside itself?

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Sun Oct 31 23:38:24 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 22:53 -0700, Dave A wrote:
> What I ended up doing was adding
>
> inputOutput SFNode thisInstance NULL
>
> to the proto def, and all instances must reference itself:
>
> DEF p1 myproto { thisInstance USE p1 }
>
> If there's a better way, I'd like to hear it.

I think what I suggested is better since it doesn't require any special
action at the instantiation point.  Why don't you like it?

> If not, would like to
> request it as a feature for next go-around.

I'm still not seeing a need for this.  Within the PROTO definition, you
have access to the PROTO instance interfaces via IS.  inputOutput
interfaces that aren't IS'd are kind of a special case; but it's easy
enough to contrive an interface in the definition just for the purpose
of adding IS, thus making the PROTO interface available to the
definition.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>