[X3D-Public] XMPP or not XMPP

Alan Hudson giles at yumetech.com
Tue Sep 7 09:25:58 PDT 2010

On 8/31/2010 5:47 PM, Tony Parisi wrote:
> Hi Sven-Erik,
>
> I think you can do it. I was considering trying it as an alternate to our
> SWMP protocol at Vivaty. But I didn't get around to experimenting with it
> before um everything went blooey over there.
>
> I would be most concerned with response times for MU messages. XMPP was
> primarily designed to transport chat text. (I know it's more general than
> that but I'm talking about in a practical sense). Then again, networks keep
> getting faster so maybe response time is no longer an issue.
>
> There's also message size to worry about-- I am not sure what those limits
> are in XMPP, and you probably don't want to transfer LARGE messages for
> updates to scene graph state anyway. i.e. don't push IndexedFaceSets around
> in this fashion ;->
>
> So I say go for it. At least build a prototype, it will be worth the effort.

response time for me was pretty good up to about 50K packet size.  When
I tried to push scenes across it got too laggy.  For position/rotation
updates its fine.  I seem to remember having about 50 clients in a room
without trouble.

Using short form xml is best, ie something like this

<ap id="123456788" p="1 2 3" r="0 1 1 1.567" />

ie keep all the elements/attributes to 1-2 chars.