[X3D-Public] Any way to do a 'LineSensor' (Like PlaneSensor but in one dimension)

Bederov, Sergey bederov at cortona3d.com
Thu Sep 23 00:53:44 PDT 2010

Hello Dave and Tony,

The problem is that PlaneSensor is inherently planar, even if it has
minY=maxY. If you limit the Y motion, the output values will always be
on one line, but the plane still matters. The sensor works in the
following algorithm:

1. Calculate a ray from the camera through the mouse pointer

2. Intersect the ray with the PlanarSensor plane (Z=0 in its local
coordinate system)

3. Calculate the local X and Y coordinates of the intersection point

4. Clamp X and Y values, if needed

5. Output the (X, Y, 0) event

In most non-trivial cases, a different plane yields different X and Y
coordinates, and while Y is clamped, X is still different. The worst
case is when you look almost along the plane. Any small movement of the
mouse produces a large movement of the intersection point, and while Y
is clamped, X changes rapidly. When the mouse pointer approaches the
"horizon", you can move the target object away from the screen and even
to infinity.

Dave, I would recommend you placing the PlaneSensor into a Billboard
whose axisOfRotation coincides with the clamped area of the PlaneSensor.
The billboard will always rotate the PlaneSensor to the best orientation
respective to the camera, and everything will work in the most "natural"
way. Effectively, this yields an (approximate) orthogonal projection of
the mouse pointer to the needed line, in screen coordinates.

                                             Sergey Bederov