[X3D-Public] {Disarmed} Re: FW: [Bod] Enhancing Simulation Studies with 3D Animation

Sven-Erik Tiberg Sven-Erik.Tiberg at ltu.se
Sat Sep 25 14:45:23 PDT 2010

Hi

Just a note about the mathworks article.
Simulink Virtual Reality Toolbox has been renamed to Simulink 3D Animation as from Matlab vers. 2009.
Worked with VR toolbox appr. 6y ago and at that time it was a pure single client to server application with propertarian client and internal protocol. Very easy to set up the connection between server/application and client.
They have extended multiple client to one application server.
Simulink are fairly easy to create a dynamic model trough a graphical editor of the model.
The import and editing of grapical objects and sceens in V-Realm editor that comes with the 3D Animator are also easy to use.
But as far I know the 3D animator can only be runned on the 3D animator client for 3D interaction.

Like the article about enhancing model simulation with 3D sceens, there are many advantages in this.
Back in -04 we worked on a application with VR-tool box to prerun the motions of a motionplatform for off-road vehicles to evauation any saftey hazards in letting people on the platform and do the same simulation.
The approach was to apply one or more 3 arrows ( x-, y- and Z-direction ) on the VR body of the driver and let their size and color change with the calculated acceleration in those directions.
Geometrical models done and we where on the simulink model when we had to focus on other things.

Appr. 15 y ago we used enhanced grapical technique for Particle Image Velocimetry technique, made a big diffrence in understaning the behaviur of the flow in wather. http://www.springerlink.com/content/t912840551063848/

Looking forward to follow the progress in this area.
/Sven-Erik