[X3D-Public] bug report: mysterious errors when using ProtoDeclare IS/connect for Viewpoint, NavigationInfo

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Apr 25 09:34:06 PDT 2011

Hi Peter and Johannes.  Here is a common failure in BS Contact and InstantReality
that works in Xj3D.  I am hoping we can sort it out, the error may be in the
way this advanced content is put together.

This is a helpful authoring prototype which shows the viewing volume for a
Viewpoint in a scene.

Am getting a difficult error with the following scenes:

http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes

http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumPrototype.x3d
http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumScript.js
http://X3dGraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumExample.x3d

Example screen snapshots of the example working:
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumOverheadView.png
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewFrustumObliqueView.png
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14-Prototypes/ViewpointCalculator.png

The first scene is a prototype, the second scene is an example that uses
the prototype via an ExternProtoDeclare declaration and ProtoInstance use.

The first scene loads in BS Contact OK, and provides Anchor text to load
the second scene.  This second scene crashes.  By opening the console
in the first scene before selecting the second scene, I was able to get
some of the diagnostics before BSContact froze up.  Screen snapshot of
that error screen is attached.

I was unable to get a console message from InstantReality using this technique.

There are no exotic concepts involved, just straightforward use of
the following advanced design pattern:

	ProtoDeclare
		ProtoInterface
			fields, including SFNode Viewpoint and NavInfo
		ProtoBody
			Shape
			Script
				fields
					IS/connect links

	ExternProtoDeclare
	ProtoInstance
		fiedValues, including SFNode Viewpoint and NavInfo

The only thing out of the ordinary here (in comparison with many other
working examples) might be the employment of SFNode Viewpoint and NavInfo
nodes as field parameters.

These scenes and script pass all tests for XML validation, X3D schematron
and Javascript syntax.

Am running 32-bit Windows 7 with following versions:
Instant Player 2.0.0.21023
BS Contact info:
Version bsContactVrml 7.219  DirectX9 Nov 22 2010

Unregistered version for non-commercial use
PlayerId 	: {461D5C44-C0E8-4FEA-BDAE-2FEF97A61B0A}

Installed in: C:\Users\Brutzman\AppData\Local\Bitmanagement Software\BS Contact\
OCX Version: 7.02.01.0009
OCX File:C:\Users\Brutzman\AppData\Local\Bitmanagement Software\BS Contact\BSContactVRML.ocx

OS 	:  Professional  version 6.1  (Build 7600)

CPU 	: (586/6/170a) Processors:2
Computer	: BRUTZMAN-PC
Memory	:      237 free MB/    3036 total MB physical memory
3D Device	: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 - atiumdag.dll - \\.\DISPLAY1 - 8.14.10.678
Video Memory	:     4095 MB
Free Texture Mem	:     2275 MB

Thanks for considering this bug report, I will be happy to fix any
problems found in the scenes, and also will work with any of your
developers that can pursue it.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman