[X3D-Public] Is there a 'base url' for VRML/X3D browsers?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 00:34:37 PDT 2011

2011/8/1 Dave A <dave at realmofconcepts.com>:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm using Contact, I'm not seeing this, at least as anything standard, am I
> missing it?
>
> What I need to know is the 'base url', that is, the domain and path, that my
> content is served from. Or more precisely, I DON'T want to know it, I'd like
> to be able to use relative paths, specifically for using createX3DFromURL
> and such.
>
> Say I have a script that calls thus:
>
> Browser.createX3DFromURL ('generate.php', this, 'loaded');
>
> Where does the 'generate.php' file need to be?

X3D spec says explicitly "The URL may be a relative URL which is
considered to be using the browser location as the base document."

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/ISO-IEC-19775-2.2-X3D-SceneAccessInterface/Part02/servRef.html#createX3DFromURL

So relative paths should definitely work. If the URL is a simple
"generate.php" , it should just be in the same directory as world,
like Lauren says.

Maybe somehow the plugin has the wrong idea of what the "current URL"
is? Maybe you have a page on a server, that accidentaly refers to
localhost for model location? There must be some accidental use of
"localhost" somewhere, if your browser goes from mydomain.com to get
resources from localhost.

Michalis