[X3D-Public] X3D-Edit update: support for version 3.3 validation and <unit> statement

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:42:29 PDT 2011

We have just released a new version of X3D-Edit that includes
DTD and Schema validation of X3D version 3.3 scenes.  Also included
is an editing panel for the new <unit> statement which allows
per-scene changes to base units for angle, length, force and
mass.  This editing pane includes an overridable selection
menu that conveniently offers a large number of common conversion
factors.  The <unit> capability lets scene data be recorded using
the original values, with consistent conversion back to baseline
radians/meters/newtons/kilograms throughout.

X3D-Edit and X3D Schematron are available online as open source.
https://savage.nps.edu/X3D-Edit
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/tools/schematron/X3dSchematron.html

Test reports and feedback welcome.

p.s. Over the next month I plan to add custom editing support for each
of the new volvis nodes.  I will also continue writing quality-assurance
tests for X3D scenes containing those nodes using the X3D Schematron
rule set.  It would be good to test these capabilities using the
medical working group example scenes published by VT.
https://snoid.sv.vt.edu/medical/X3DVolumes

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman