[X3D-Public] Uploading 3D objects with conversion

Alan Hudson alan at shapeways.com
Fri Dec 30 08:49:14 PST 2011

On 12/30/2011 4:46 AM, Sven-Erik Tiberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> What technique do you use uploading 3D-, image- and sound-objects to a CMS, including format conversion in the workflow when needed?
> F.ex upload a collada object and make it public for download as x3d object.
>
> /Sven-Erik
On the Shapeways backend we take a bunch of formats and convert it
internally to X3D.  We use Xj3D's filter chain to process the files.  It
can currently take the following formats:  x3d, vrml, COLLADA, stl,
obj.  It then uses the transformation pipeline to normalize all files
down to a Interchange level profile so further tools don't need to
understand higher order concepts.  Its 3D printing optimized so its
handling is mostly optimized around geometry.

--
Alan Hudson, Director 3D Tools
www.shapeways.com