[X3D-Public] The Network Sensor is not enough

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Sat Feb 12 12:03:06 PST 2011

Hello Don

Just some additional remarks regarding my experiences with existing
implementation of network sensor.

1) The network sensor fires "initialized" = "true" after successful
initialization. If the network sensor holds a state (and not only events),
then the first update of the local state will be done, BEFORE the
successful initialization will be indicated with "initialized" = "true"
(unless there is no state present at the server at all, in which case the
local state will not be updated).

This behaviour is very useful. It should be required by the standard.

2) My "SRR Framework" depends heavily on a "sessionId", which is delivered
by the browser and identifies (non-negative SFInt32) the session (I call it
"scene instance" instead of "session").

3) I define a "controller role" (one scene instance is responsible for
state updates). The automatic selection of the scene instance for the
"controller role" would be easier, if the browser/server provided some
"network semaphore service" or if the browser/server selected the
"controller role" on his own.

4) I depend on the browser indicating remote sessions, which left the
multiplayer session. Alternatively this dependency could maybe avoided, if
it were guaranteed by the network sensor to send "a last user-defined
state/event in case of shutdown" to the server.

OK, all this is not very helpful in the current situation, but better to
tell it than to forget it :)

>> if there is sufficient interest to review past work and discuss
>> potential future work, it would be great to schedule a teleconference.
Unfortunately, this is not up to me :-( , but if someone will indicate
interest to me, I will get back to you

Regarding X3D-Earth:
Unfortunately, I did not yet find the time to get deeper into this very
interesting topic, I'm just thinking about one James Bond's theme "The
world is not enough", and I cannot forget this song :-)

Kind regards
Christoph

-------- Original-Nachricht --------Datum: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:46:57 -0800