[X3D-Public] X3D - Sprites - 2d Interface

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Wed Feb 23 14:09:40 PST 2011

Hi Jonny

I try to be browser independent, too.

For my scenes I chose a very conservative approach.

I used the <Box> node from the Geometry3D component, the <Text> node from
the Text component, some touch sensors, string sensors and script nodes.
Using a proxi-sensor to create a HUD. Everything is possible, using these,
maybe not in a very comfortable way.

For sprites, there is the <Billboard> node (OK, it's not real 2D sprites,
but something similar, depends on your use case).

There is the Layering component (which I'm not familiar with).

Anyway:  X3D describes 3D scenes, where the 2D GUI for the user is
"something external to the scene", which is specific to 2D user terminals
like the "good old PC". Scenes should be described in a way independent of
the concrete terminal. (that's my opinion, at least)

Kr
Christoph