[X3D-Public] remote motion invocation (RMI)

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Sat Feb 26 06:10:55 PST 2011

I'm not sure, if I understand what you mean with "downloading motion" and
"uploading motion".

In a classic virtual world, you download an avatar with some potential(!)
gestures/motions.
You use some input device (e.g. a mouse) to trigger a concrete(!)
gesture/motion.
The concrete gesture/motion is uploaded to a server and distributed from
the pilot to the slaves.
Imho, Kinect is no qualitatively new situation regarding this, but it has
got quantitative differences (the set of potential gestures/motions is
larger).

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:49:18 -0800
> Von: John Carlson <john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net>
> Betreff: [X3D-Public] remote motion invocation (RMI)
>
>             Instead of downloading motion into a 3D scene, how about
> uploading motion into a remote social network server or robot?  One could
> upload motions to a remote server, and then invoke them with parameters.
> One could create classes aggregating motion methods, instantiate classes
> to create behaviors in avatars or robots.
>
> What if H-Anim was used to upload and control avatars remotely, instead
> of downloaded models?  What I am thinking of is something like
> Kinect/PrimeSense for primitive motion input + a programming language for
> repetition/parameterization/classes/instantation.  What if I chose a
> protocol/programming such as JavaScript?
>
> Does DIS do this?  Are there any patents to be aware of?  If we use
> something like Caja on the server, or sandbox the motion on the server,
> could we insure the security of such an endeavor?
>
> Initially, I am thinking only of video download.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Carlson

Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar