[X3D-Public] remote animation invocation (RAI)

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 10:19:54 PST 2011

> What I'd like to do is something like the Skeleton Running, but then
> assign that whole animation to the string "run" and parameterize
> positions and velocities and different avatars--

That is at the core of the h-anim standard. Similar animations can be
applied to similar characters.
Given that you know the binding hierarchy, position, and rotation of
all skeleton joints, segments, and sites in a 'defined' pose
(attention or relaxed) relative to the binding definition for each
vertex that constitutes the skin, then, to move the finger from the
initial pose to touch the nose tip for example, all the joint
rotations and translations could be computed.
For the animations shown on that running skeleton, I can offer an
example that if the x3d h-anim characters are similar, as in the case
of an earlier Nancy example, with this skeleton developed fairly
independently, but following the same standard, then we have some
level of proof that if the initial pose is similar then basic
animations can be shared.

So, in order to see more about this we will need to dig into the
features that make an x3d h-anim character the World standard for best
practice when you wish to share animations across a broad range of
characters.

These days we could solve the animation problem for all time just by
recording the actual movements of a model then matching that with a
custom skin. To author animation, just make the begin pose and the end
pose and have the system move the appropriate skin vertices from start
to end at some rate(s) and maybe record it or at least create a simple
expression to describe it. Anyway, that is one way to do it from the
'outside' where all you really need to know is skin vertices. From the
inside, to get realistic operation of an avatar, we need to start with
a realistic model of the humanoid hominid character. This involves
real joints, segments, and sites in a standardized
scientifically-derived hierarchy having a standard or known initial
pose. This X3D H-anim definition also involves a skin mesh with an
initial or known pose. Then we connect each skin vertex to one or more
joints, along with weighting factor. Now when we move the joints, the
skin moves according to the weighting. For authoring, then I can
understand that to raise my right arm from resting at my side to point
at the horizon, then my avatar has to do the same thing as I would do
personally: Pitchup shoulder joint +90 degrees!
Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe