[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5meetingdiscussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 1 14:46:17 PST 2011

HI Philipp,
In a previous mail you mentioned integration of 2D and 3D. For an
overview of this kind of stuff please look at the X3D spec to see the
wide range of 2D and 3D objects along with single and multipleD static
and streaming texture objects supported by several X3D free and
commercial implementations.
For a long time it has been easier to get html and svg renderings and
other texture types usable in 3D browsers than to have 3D in running
in the html document.
I hope all can spend some energy understanding what has been and what
is here now so we get concrete specs for basic deliverables,
implementations of that feature set, and standardization. Now we need
reliable abstract definitions for this nD+1 functionality that just
simply must work everywhere in our WWW.

>  (e.g. XML3D spec on xml3D.org),

I think I see it, but please take this hard-earned lesson, details of
the fidelity of  behaviour is very important. What I saw did not speak
to this point, or  many others concerning how the thing actually runs.
I think it will help to disclose more abstract and concrete ideas
about how XML3D is supposed to operate when the show is live and
producing work by generating, sending, and receiving events that
change the pixels. The X3D SAI abstract spec covers this for X3D
processors in some detail.

btw At first glance the spec shows me a radical dependence upon style
sheets - even to "depreciated" the 'transform' in the 'group' element.
That is great thought but like html, I think basic stuff  shall be
that it works (everything does something default without CSS). But
hey, it looks like all the latest connections.
Thanks Again,
Joe