[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5meetingdiscussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Sun Jan 2 23:20:54 PST 2011

Hello Philipp and all,

Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I have never expected much
backward compatibility from the HTML version of 3D (whatever
that turns out to be). It would be nice, and that is why I
like the X3DOM version, but my concern is largely with the
forward ability to upgrade content. X3D's history, stability
and strenght make it the ideal candidate model IMO, and
perhaps that made me sound like wanting backward
compatibility. It is the content upgrade path that I am
mostly concerned with, the efficiency in which that content
will be rendered, along with an outlook of what that content
might look like and of course the ability to transcode. In
terms of capabilities, that is likely to look a lot like
X3D, perhaps not in form, granted that, but in function.
Nevertheless, instead of discarding what I knew we would be
aiming at, I tried to preserve it. That was a bit
contradictary to your originally stated goals, but I am now
beginning to better understand what it is you are actually
trying to accomplish. And as such, I am willing to
participate, because ultimately, our objectives can actually
coincide. So let me say to X3D lovers and content developers
out there - please bear with it if this gets a little hard
to follow. It may turn out to be a crucial exercise that can
actually help X3D, not hurt it as it may appear. So no more
politics from me, let's get on with the business of making
the best declarative 3D DOM we can conjure up.

Having said that, my question is what's wrong with WebGL?
Isn't that the perfect way to get to where we want?

Lauren