[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meetingdiscussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jan 3 06:07:08 PST 2011

Hi Chris and everyone on the List,

first of all: Happy new year to everyone!

it looks like i missed a _very_ interesting discussion during this years holidays :)
Just one short remark before I get to other topics:

> If the format we're discussing is declarative 3D markup in a web browser, we already have he mime- type: text/html. I don't say that to be trite. It's an important requirement. Modern HTML 5 parsers deal with embedded markup very well. It let's you embed SVG, MathML, etc. inline. There are beautiful examples of embedded MathML that work with most of the bleeding edge browsers. IMHO thinking of this as a plugin is a non-starter.

This was one of the goals from the x3dom-project right from the beginning. Everything (except images/video-pixels and sound-data) goes through the DOM.

http://www.x3dom.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/SVG-canvas-WebGL-and-X3DOM-relation.png

But the DOM (even so called "Docuemnt Object Model") is really not about parsing or serializing Objects. It's all about text-represetnation and encodings.
AFAIK you can _not_ parse directly to any object which includes any form of Typed Arrays. You can use the new XMLHttpRequest  functions to load
binary data but this will not go through any from of DOM structure.

Did I understand this correct?

regards
johannes