[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meetingdiscussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 09:10:24 PST 2011

> not about plugins

 I think I agree except in the near term I see an opportunity to offer
some level of speedup by offering an opertional 'engine' that can
speed things up by doing some details in fast code. In many examples
of WebGL I have seen so far when there is a lot oc computing then the
thing is typically slow like before I got my first real video card
with VRML2. I just remember how that made it real for me and got me
wanting to learn about it. Similarly, I saw some great speedups in X3D
when we could get rid of scripts with stock utilities to do some
simple processing. I mean I am sure we have learned by actual
experience how nice it is to have some interpolators and sequencers
and sensors and detail utilities running in the 'engine' core than
from any collection of script libraries that somehow work to time
things in an environment where Time is not a first class object.
I may be way behind in what is happening but I have seen the speedups
in X3DOM when we hook in pieces of a majik little engine and some
results when we tried to eliminate the special 'engine' and do
something interesting without some neat 'engine' hooks.
To me, this means to do good either the browser must buildin some
power or add a simple 3D engine to do some of the neat stuff. We have
already heard about how we could get isOver and isActive from a set of
onmouse events and I think inferred that some special code somwhers
would do some neat raycasting and produce events.
So, I think both solutions 'need' a concept that is a plugin but is
not a plugin. I am also very impressed with integration of MathML and
SVG, and even Canvas2D. Another consideration is that work is still
proceeding on developing the html <object> and <embed> protocols and
rules.

If this works as hoped for, then it will be much easier to get a
'plugin' installed and working. We saw from Ajax3D that XHR is a
winner and so naturally would play some part in future X3D networking
tactics. Now it seems the html browsers are all up in the air about
security of <object> and @sandbox and others so we need some special
tricks to get the X3D object talking to the DOM. Like Tony's old
Ajax3D examples stopped working and I naven't taken the time to get
them to run again. A great use of how to use host DOM and html browser
networking features. Of course the XHR worked better when the X3D
could deal with the network directly instead of through the host DOM.

Anyway, plugin or not, it seems clear that some 'engine' code will be
required. Either the host will provide suitable capabilities or a
little addin code is provided. I think we can tell a lot about how
appropriate this 3D offering will be by examining details about how
this thing will work when it is a live context in a host DOM and being
kicked from the inside and the outside while responding to style and
content updates.

Of course we need to know something about the data syntax, structures,
and features to do this, but since we seem to have a decision that
whatever language will be hierarchal allowing nested transforms and
that the encoding must produce a valid DOM, then we can go ahead an
make some plans about how this 3D DOM which may be a distinct context
embedded in an html canvas that listens and talks to our WWW via the
intermediary of our very much appreciated personal favorite host html
text browser.

Finally, this is not just about html, I hope, but can emcompass xml. I
mean we need XML tools to work with this stuff so we also need a
validating schema and XML DOM.

Thanks to All and Best Regards,
Joe