[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5meetingdiscussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Chris Marrin chris at marrin.com
Mon Jan 3 17:36:22 PST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 12:45 AM, Philipp Slusallek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems we are getting closer, thanks.
>
> WebGL is just a thin layer of top of OpenGL and nothing like
> declarative. So it for the same same reason people prefer X3D over
> coding at the OpenGL layer. As I have explained in one of my first
> emails, I believe that this layer is even more important to get
> acceptance for 3D in the Web space for the millions of Web developers.

Allow me to be the pedant in this discussion :-)

WebGL is declarative, in that it's container is a <canvas> element, which is a declarative node. From there you need JavaScript to see anything rendered. But most HTML content has some amount of JavaScript. It's just that WebGL needs more than most :-)

-----
~Chris
chris at marrin.com