[X3D-Public] Multiple Materials for Geometry (IndexedFaceSet)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:11:10 PST 2011

Hi, I'm currently making some updates to blender 2.5'x X3D exporter,
since we have a diligent user reporting all sorts of bugs.

One problem I've hit is that it seems there is no way to have
different materials for one mesh.

There are some ways that have been suggested but I find both unsatisfactory.

1) Set colorPerVertex="false", then define color per face.
This is no good because you may have different specular, diffuse
values per material (not just color)

2) Use MultiTexture?, This was suggested but from what I can tell its
only for layering textures, not applying different textures to
different parts of the mesh.

The things Id like to support are:
- Different images on the same mesh.
- Different material's on the same mesh.

>From what I can tell there is no way to do this so as a last resort
the exporter could split the object's materials into multiple objects,
which is not ideal but I cant see an alternative.

Am I missing something?.

--
- Campbell