[X3D-Public] Multiple Materials for Geometry (IndexedFaceSet)

Dave A dave at realmofconcepts.com
Tue Jan 4 21:24:40 PST 2011

As he said, and I said, yes, break the mesh up. One Appearance per mesh
(IFS) is all you get. So break it up by material/texture (in effect,
Appearance), and then Group the parts is your best bet. Doing that
per-vertex color thing is more work than it's worth for blandly-simple
objects.
And note that if there are light maps, bump maps, etc. (MultiTexture)
you need to account for those as well. I would sort all polygons sharing
the same Appearance into the SAME (sub)mesh, rather than creating
separate polygons, where ever possible.

Dave A.