[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jan 5 04:19:46 PST 2011

Hi,

> I would not expect much backward compatibility in a web
> browser by any stretch of the imagination. At least not for
> the worlds I am involved with, which are extremely complex
> and script intensive. Not withstanding the commendable
> efforts of those involved, the day when full 3D worlds are
> displayed directly in a browser is way ahead of us. Well
> over a decade of development went into current X3D viewers,
> and that will probably take just as long to get the same
> functionality into web browsers, if it ever gets to the
> level X3D viewers are today. I would actually see more
> chances of that happening in the short to mid term if say,
> an existing X3D viewer code were to be integrated into a web
> browser. But, I digress, then again maybe not - who knows
> what the future holds.
>
> What I would be looking for however, in terms of
> 'compatibility', is the ability for the two general methods
> (browser vs viewer rendering) to coexist. This so that basic
> X3D scenes are displayed in web browsers via one of the
> proposed schemes. Then, when more capabilities are required,
> X3D viewers take over in a seamless fashion to render the
> more involved worlds. As in a step up from the simpler, more
> accessible 3D into advanced functionality as required. The
> X3D profile scheme is well suited for that. I believe this
> type of scenario would be good for Web3D and the web, making
> the core X3D profile easily accessible as an interim, until
> the users install a full fledge viewer, or browser
> improvements allow for extended profiles. I hope this is
> exactly what is being worked on.

This is how the x3dom-fallback model works internally:

http://www.x3dom.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/x3dom-fallback-Release-1.1.png

It matches a content given profile to a runtime.
The runtime can be native (we have e.g. an WebKit
version which works on iOS-Devides ), an X3D-Plugin (e.g. InstantReality
plugin, which supports immersive up to 3.2) and
the WebGL-Scenegraph which only supports the HTML-Profile we defined:

http://www.x3dom.org/?page_id=158

There could be more intelligent ways but this
is how far we got by applying the profile concept.

regards
johannes