[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Chris Marrin chris at marrin.com
Wed Jan 5 14:27:01 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Joe D Williams wrote:

>> (such as XFlow, server-based rendering based on XML3D, AnySL and its successor AnyDSL
>
> Is there anything public on AnyDSL?
> What is the best link for XFlow?
> What is Khronos association with ASL?

I don't think this group should be trying to blaze the trail with new shader languages. We actually considered that in WebGL and decided instead to support a very strict version of GLSL ES 1.0. To make all this work with HLSL (via the translators in ANGLE) we tightened up a few requirements of the underlying system. As GLSL ES progresses with more of the desktop functionality, we can rev the WebGL spec. So I think you should consider the shading language a solved problem.

There has also been talk of starting on WebCL, which would have to dovetail with WebGL. So I don't think it is useful to spend cycles trying to solve the problem of GPGPU applications.

-----
~Chris
chris at marrin.com