[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Kristian Sons kristian.sons at dfki.de
Thu Jan 6 14:18:54 PST 2011

Wow!

It's a little more than two weeks now that I posted the charter and I
skimmed through 144 replies from several parties.
Thanks a lot for this (ongoing) discussion. Read a lot of technical
arguments and ideas, some ideological as well ;)

Can't reply to all now, so let me say something about the XG. The start
is in progress and I am in contact with W3C staff members. We are three
W3C members: DFKI, FhG and Web3D consortium, thus we could start.

But as Philipp already mentioned, we are still looking for industry
backup. Right now we are two academic institutions and the Web3D
consortium, that has again too few industrial members (if you compare to
the member lists of W3C or Khronos). During the TPAC meeting this year I
got the impression that one reason why the "declarative 3D is in the
domain of Web3D consortium" sentence was deleted from the HTML5 spec was
due to the lack of industry interest. Demonstrating the opposite will be
one of the challenges. I think we should have at least one Initiating
Members from industry. Even at the risk of repeating: Apple would be
great support ;)

There were lots of discussions about XFlow. I will set up a page with
informations on xml3d.org next week. Until then, here a presentation
with the basic ideas:

http://www.xml3d.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/xflow_presentation.pdf

   Kristian

Am 06.01.2011 22:14, schrieb Philipp Slusallek:
> Hi,
>
> Kristian Sons (with me in the background) has been driving this but is
> still on vacation this week. I am sure he will pick this up on Monday
> morning with putting the draft online at W3C asap.
>
> We have had discussions with a couple of people offline and I believe
> the charter is mostly OK by now. Please provide any input that you might
> still have asap. We are waiting for a few more feedbacks, before
> circulating this to a wider group of possibly interested parties.
> Suggestions for potentially other supportive W3C members are of course
> still welcome.
>
> Originally, we wanted to get a couple of the bigger companies to support
> the Incubator Group before we officially start, to show some more weight
> right from the beginning (e.g Boeing showed some interest). Given the
> great discussion we have head already, I am beginning to agree with you
> that we should just start, without waiting for their decision. They can
> still join whenever they want.
>
> We already have DFKI, Fraunhofer to support this, obviously. I am not
> sure whether Web3D a full memeber in that respect? I am still waiting
> for a definitive answer from Intel (again Christmas, I guess). If we
> could get Apple to support this, this would be perfect as well and would
> hopefully give us two IT heavyweights already.
>
> 	Philipp
>
> Am 06.01.2011 20:42, schrieb Chris Marrin:
>> On Jan 6, 2011, at 3:14 AM, Johannes Behr wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I agree. We should join forces. This is one reason why we
>>> start this incubator group.
>> But an incubator group has not been started from what I can see on the W3C site. I've asked several times about this without a response. I cannot stress enough the importance of carrying on this conversation inside an XG. I've seen a charter from Kristian Sons, but no other XG related activity. Has a chair been selected? Do you have the 3 W3C Members required to start an XG?
>>
>> Commencing this effort in an XG gives it visibility to the W3C membership, which can lend expertise in integrating this work into the rest of the W3C activities. It also gives you a path to the W3D Recommendation Track, which is where proposals become standards.
>>
>> For more info go here:
>>
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/#About
>>
>> and here:
>>
>> 	http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/how-to.html
>>
>> -----
>> ~Chris
>> chris at marrin.com

Kristian Sons
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH, DFKI
Agenten und Simulierte Realität
Campus D 3-2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,  D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
Phone: (+49 681) 302-3833, Fax: ...-3843, E-Mail: kristian.sons at dfki.de
Mobil:  +49 151 / 50 98 76 08
DFKI Informationen: http://www.dfki.de

Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313