[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions:Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Thu Jan 6 14:42:27 PST 2011

>So you're saying that my iPhone can do real-time
>raytracing? Or my 4 year old ATI graphics card? I've seen
>nice demos of ray-tracing in a fragment shader, and I know
>new Nvidia (and presumably ATI) is very powerful and have
>the potential to do ray-tracing much faster. But that's not
>mainstream.

Hello Chris,

I am very surprised to hear this from you. IMO, a 4 year old
graphics card is not mainstream, it is either obsolete, or
about to be, and has little relevance in this discussion. If
I can voice my personal point-of-view, I believe we should
focus solely on the future without too much regards to past
and present hardware/software. Taking example from the
gaming industry, the latest and greatest games and hardware
are always at the absolute leading edge. What will be is
what we need to meet, otherwise the product of the effort
will already be somewhat dated by the time it comes out. I
think we need to exhibit extreme foresight, and attempt to
provide the foundation for as much of all things 3D as we
can, because if we don't, then later we'll start hearing
things like -why didn't they do it? Although we might not
implement things like shaders and physics, and use ray
tracing in the short term, making sure that there will be a
way to support these in later versions is paramount. Heck,
if I had my way I would even seriously look into the
possibilities of a DAG implementation, and start laying the
groundwork for that. I know, baby steps, but the general
directions should not lead to dead ends anywhere. Babies
tend to walk in circles. We should attempt to envision clear
paths of possibilities that are as wide as we can make them,
even if not implemented today, or failing that, it will have
to be reworked again when the lifecycle of the
implementation is complete. By that time, Web content will
be much more complex, and, once more, it will be necessary
to break it when that happens (as in the incompatibility
with existing 3D worlds). I am just saying, let's try to do
it in a way so this never happens again; In a way so that,
no big money company come again and say, look, we can do
this better, as it happened so many time with VRML/X3D. I am
sure you at least partially agree with the above, and I
realize this may be far more difficult, but if it were easy,
it probably would not be worth doing. That may sound a
little idealistic, but after all, we are building for
'virtual' reality. :)

Having said the above, I do not understand why you often say
"it will fail" if we try to do more. I'd rather have
something fail early if it is to fail, because failing late
breaks content and that is not a better alternative. Again,
my opinion, but I would like to hear you speak more on this
topic.

Cheers,
Lauren