[X3D-Public] learning from video

Paul Aslin fabricatorgeneral at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 21:34:59 PST 2011

That's odd, I see this as a failure of google itself. Couldn't reach a deal with MPEG-LA group huh ?

H.264 also known as MPEG-4 Part 10
Remember how X3D is also available as a MPEG 4 format ?

WebM is a format I've never heard of, certainly don't have any video encoded in it. Do have lots of video in its predecessor (MKV) and H.264.

H.264 is a technically superior in every way, it doesn't glitch up like other codecs I've used, isn't huge on file size or bandwidth. To force to play H.264 through the bloated, slow and just annoying to use flash player plugin is just nuts.

Sorry opensource people, but this one is a failure. Dump a perfectly good international video standard that people use, just because it doesn't meet your vague goals of free beer software. GPL is a pain in the arse to the average end user, "What do you mean I have to go online and download extra stuff to play DVDs, Mp3 etc." and no they never bother to provide a simple way to do this.

ps: I don't like google anyway, too god like these days.