[X3D-Public] VRML to X3D converter

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jul 5 17:08:09 PDT 2011

List of translators that I know of are listed on the X3D Resources
page.  Further additions are welcome.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Conversions

Of note is an open-source Java library:

	NIST VRML to X3D Translator is written by Qiming Wang.
	http://ovrt.nist.gov/v2_x3d.html

	The X3D-Edit distribution includes an updated version of the
	Translator (also .zip and Javadoc) as a bundled source/jar.
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/Vrml97ToX3dNist/
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/Vrml97ToX3dNist.zip
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/Vrml97ToX3dNist/javadoc/

I've made some minor changes to the original source.  It works on
most everything I've tried, though some prototypes might need
special treatment.

There is a batch file and a .jar checked in for command-line
invocation.  I can help with creation of a shell script for Unix
if needed.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman