[X3D-Public] Historical question

Dave A dave at realmofconcepts.com
Mon Jun 6 09:33:41 PDT 2011

Hey all,

I've just started using FreeWRL and was surprised that it was rejecting
scripts with 'exposedField' on them. Now, I've used Contact, Cortona,
Flux/Vivaty, and Instant Player, and they all support this. But the
FreeWRL guys point out that 'exposedField' is not in the VRML spec (it
is in the X3D spec but as 'inputOutput').

So, how did this 'exposedField' come to be, when, and if it's in so many
popular browsers, how is it not in at least an Amendment, and (to the
FreeWRL folks), why not implement it there?

Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.

Dave A.