[X3D-Public] [X3D] CAD Working Group meeting (17:10 PDT, June 8th)

Vincent Marchetti vmarchetti at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 9 05:58:05 PDT 2011

On Jun 8, 2011, at 9:16 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:

> Vincent, thanks for your note.
>
> Please let us know your interests and we will be happy to reply.
> Apologies that we did not get a chance to reply to your message
> before today's teleconference.

> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
> Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman

My interest in X3D comes with computer-aided engineering viewpoint. I
have been working with the STEP standard (ISO 10303) for manufacturing
information exchange. STEP, among its many parts, offers neutral
formats for CAD (STEP AP 203, AP 214) data as well as for NC machining
(STEP-NC or AP 238) and other application areas. Most commercial CAD
packages have the capability to export models as STEP AP-203 files. I
have developed a web-based application for extracting the information
content in STEP files (at http://spri.kshell.com ) and am interested
in using X3D to deliver viewable 3-D models as content. I already have
the ability to translate boundary representation models encoded in
STEP files to X3D (xml encoding files), albeit using the trimmed nurbs
surface nodes which are not uniformly implemented among browsers.

I recently joined the web3d consortium, some areas I'm interested in
learning about, and perhaps contributing to, are:
-- support of the NURBS component
-- working with X3D content in a web browser environment, particularly
working with dynamically generated content

Thanks
Vince Marchetti
KShell Analysis
Stow, OH, USA