[X3D-Public] remote motion invocation (RMI)

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 1 09:08:38 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven-Erik Tiberg" <Sven-Erik.Tiberg at ltu.se>
To: <npolys at vt.edu>; <x3d-public at web3d.org>
Cc: <luca.chittaro at uniud.it>
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 6:14 AM
Subject: Re: [X3D-Public] remote motion invocation (RMI)

> Hi
>
> A note.
> Would it be possible to create a object similar to dynamic h-anim,
> looking and behaving like a moose.

THe basis for h-anim comes from general-purpose hierarchical animation
needs. That is, the shoulder joint is connected to the elbow joint,
for example, such that when the shoulder joint is moved, then the
elbow joint is translated accordingly as expected. To follow the same
technique for a different character, just position the joints and
segments you chose to use depending upon the level of articulation you
need in skeleton space then build the skin in skin space (hopefully
the same as skeleton space), connect it up and animate the thing.

> No I'm not kidding, in the future we hope to create a X3D-sceen for
> driver simulator with "living" moose and reindeers ( they are not so
> exotic up here but more real and a hazard on the roads ).
> Could be that the same motion pattern can be used for deers and elks
> and ..

possibly. Note that the selection of initial binding time joint
rotation is important.

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Joe