[X3D-Public] [X3D] Korea chapter meeting: E-Learning goals, internationalized text, etc.

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Mar 2 18:37:13 PST 2011

cc: x3d-public

Attendees:
Myeong-Won Lee, Yong-Sang Cho, Kwan Hee Yoo, Gun Lee, Anita Havele,
Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.

Gun Lee will soon be moving to University of Canterbury in New Zealand
as a postdoctoral researcher.  Congratulations!

Agenda and responses follow.

On 3/2/2011 4:15 AM, Myeong Won Lee wrote:
> The agenda items are as follows:
>
> *1. e-Learning WG *
>
> In the last minutes,
>
>  >There are multiple methods that can be used now to create a
>  >example e-book application with HTML4 or HTML5.
>
>  >- embedded object tag referring to .x3d scene (HTML4 or HTML5)
>  >- X3DOM can embed .x3d as XML inline with HTML (HTML5)

Our X3D + HTML5 page is
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5

X3DOM is also well documented at http://x3dom.org

>  >Next week we will begin 30 minutes early to continue the E-Learning
>  >discussion. We will
>  >- Review the wiki and upgrade it to a reviewable charter

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_E-Learning

We added a link to Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL) as a
potential collaborator.  http://www.adlnet.gov

We added the following candidate outcomes and timeline items:

Goals

The Web3D Consortium is starting a new interest group: X3D and E-Learning. This will be in partnership with IMS Global Learning Consortium.

This group will enable the creation of Web-Enabled 3D content, tools and platforms for online e-learning.

We will collaboratively harmonize and integrate X3D Graphics content with other standards. We are also interested in possible collaboration with Advanced Distributed Learning (ADL).

Planned interest-group products include:

     * Collect requirements and describe typical Use Cases for applying 3D models in E-Learning
     * Produce a Recommended Best Practice for E-Learning with X3D Graphics
     * Produce several E-Learning Exemplars demonstrating E-Learning with X3D Graphics
           o Simple course lessons for teachers (preschool, K-12, higher education, and training)
           o Small report of 20-50 pages (and perhaps the Recommended Practice itself)
           o Full book production
     * If needed, recommend new nodes for X3D Specification. (None are yet identified.)

Timeline

We hope to achieve these goals during a busy 18-month period of activity starting in April 2011.

Discussion items:

     * What should we plan for Web3D Conference 20-22 June 2011, Paris France
     * Can we plan for a session with SIGGRAPH Educators at SIGGRAPH 2011, 9-11 August in Vancouver Canada

>  >- Review the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between IMS Global
>  >Consortium and Web3D Consortium
>  >- Discuss potential pilot project

we have multiple pilots under consideration under the Goals section

> We should also consider the following items.
>
> - international language fonts

X3D supports full internationalization of all Unicode fonts.