[X3D-Public] MultiTexture support added to X3D-Edit; examples still needed

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Mar 3 05:32:57 PST 2011

Michalis, thank you very much for these very helpful details and
suggestions.

Unfortunately the original X3D player implementers who championed
these nodes have not remained sufficiently active to reconcile the
issues you have described.  So we have to continue ahead anyway to
try to clarify descriptions and fix problems as best we can.

This situation certainly illustrates the importance of having
active community participants (like yourself) and also Web3D Consortium
members to enable stability and focused group efforts that preserve
and improve the X3D Specification.

Apologies but I don't think we have seen your comments before.
Can you please go to specification reporting form to report them,
available at

	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/#x3dreporting
	http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/spec_feedback    (public)
	http://www.web3d.org/membership/login/spec_feedback      (member)

I believe that the only difference in the forms is where they are
reflected, i.e. on the x3d-public or x3d working group mailing list.
Len Daly is very diligent about logging these in Web3D's Mantis
issue-tracking system.  He, Dick Puk, various other folks and I
go through each and every one, keeping track of the dialog in
Mantis and reporting results in meeting minutes.

This certainly requires work and additional help is always welcome.
I hope that people consider joining us.

Regarding the technical points you raise:
- we will need to confirm that any changes are implementable
	consistently by X3D players using either OpenGL or DirectX
- we probably would benefit by having you on a review conference
	during one of the Wednesday teleconferences to answer any
	questions (there are always some)

Thanks also for the examples!  When time permits I'll test out
X3D-Edit and various browsers.  Have also added links to yours
and InstantReality's example suites on the X3D Resources page.
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman