[X3D-Public] SPAM: Comparing Flash, HTML, Silverlight, X3D and Unity 3d

cbullard at hiwaay.net cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 15 12:06:25 PDT 2011

I replied but I've been away from this for awhile except for using it
in video production.   I just did an experiment with green screen
compositing in Sony Vegas, simplistic but it worked brilliantly.

In contrast to what the reviewer claimed, VRML incarnations have been
the easiest to adapt to projects where cost-benefit of toolkits and
richness of presentation are compared.   X3D is a) easy to learn, not
hard b) complexity scales to the project.  Easy things are easy; hard
things are possible.

DB integration may still be a tougher problem although I've done no
work in this area.  Still, it shouldn't be and since XMLHTTP
integration is fairly well-covered amd X3DDOM demonstrable, it seems
to be a matter of commercial adoption lagging in a market where
vendors continue to have a 1990s mentality regarding raising
complexity and IP barriers to competition in attempts to conquer market.

3D should not be a major competitive advantage in a project.  It
should be a checkmark where the cost of content ownership is the
primary consideration, not the cost of tool integration.  When you
look at the history of 3D projects by very large companies that litter
the bit dustbins of the web, one would think we would have learned it
is not a market where bit-level innovation will be the tipping point
driver, yet iron and bit twiddlers still seem to be the thought
leaders.  Unfortunate.  3D is just another integrating media type.

len