[X3D-Public] FreeWRL on iPhone, and other mobile devices.

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Wed Mar 30 13:57:22 PDT 2011

Informal status report since my message of 28 February 2011.

Work is progressing on the port. The full FreeWRL code base is running, and some touch-based movement in the running world is possible.

There are still many holes, but it is encouraging to be able to use X3D as either an app or as a static library for a custom app on the iPhone platform.

I'm not sure when we are going to deliver an app for general use; probably an "alpha" version will be available sooner rather than later.

We have at least one volunteer looking at Android, and another who has FreeWRL running as a .net application.

If you are interested in watching or participating in the development effort, please feel free to join the FreeWRL mailing list, details available here:

http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/contact.html

As we are all volunteers, progress happens in "fits and starts", but viewed at a distance,  progress has been steady.

Thanks;

John A. Stewart.