[X3D-Public] US Patent 6,754,400

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun May 1 17:41:32 PDT 2011

The Background node was approved by ISO as part of the VRML 97
international standard back in 1997.  This would appear to provide
prior art regarding several surprising claims made in 2001 by
patent 6754400.  Joe's helpful comments also make sense.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/specifications/vrml/ISO-IEC-14772-VRML97/part1/nodesRef.html#Background

Jaime if you and/or others wish to relay this information you are welcome to.
Further if you and/or others wish to further encourage cooperation between
IVRPA and the non-profit Web3D Consortium, that will likely be great too.
Web3D Consortium was formed to protect the VRML/X3D specifications and it
is completely responsive to members.

This kind of productive collaboration is always driven by energetic
individuals who want to advance 3D graphics and "do the right thing."
Thanks to you and Tom for the information, I hope that this feedback
is helpful.

On 4/30/2011 7:17 AM, Jaime Magiera wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Tom Sparks wrote:
>
>> I have found a Patent witch may affect X3D and VRML97 background node ,
>> You can read about the patent here (http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=KjQSAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,754,400 <http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=KjQSAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,754,400>)
>>
>> the IVRPA is fund a case to invalided this patent ( http://ivrpa.org/patent )
>> the IVRPA is asking for information to invalided this claim the lawyers want pre February 2001
>
> Yeah, the IVRPA has been doing discovery for the past year or so. Now, they're ready to move forward. Folks should definitely read up on it and see if they can find any supporting info.
>
> BTW, in terms of expanding X3D, the IVRPA would be a good organization to network with. They have an interest in seeing the growth of interactive environments and they're very professional in their approach to expanding the art. (I'm a QTVR photographer, and have been a member of IVRPA for a couple years)
>
> Jaime Magiera
> The University of Michigan

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman