[X3D-Public] VRML models - was Re: Octaga?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu May 5 21:59:54 PDT 2011

On 5/5/2011 10:12 AM, Richard Kennaway wrote:
> [...]
> If anyone wants a torture test for their VRML viewer (I haven't made the jump to X3D yet), there's a 0.8MB example at http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~jrk/distribution/TestSuccessiveFingers.wrl, and a screen shot at http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~jrk/distribution/TestSuccessiveFingers.png
> I generate these files for prototyping animations. The production environment that uses my animation generator doesn't involve VRML at all.

i clicked and it worked, looks fabulous in BS Contact under windows.
They also have a Mac version.

HUD controls all seemed to work too.  Very nice!

i then tried the VRML-to-X3D importer we bundled into X3D-Edit.
that translation produced the following output with some errors:

> [...]
> <!-- Sites button 0  -->
> [next .wrl line 14237]
>
> found protonode SquareDiamond, iicm.vrml.pw.ProtoNode at 1b8e38e
> <!-- Sites button 1  -->
> [next .wrl line 14247]
>
> <!-- Cones button  -->
> [next .wrl line 14257]
>
> <!-- Color picker   -->
> [next .wrl line 14267]
>
> found protonode ColorPicker, iicm.vrml.pw.ProtoNode at da52a1
> <!-- Color picker   -->
> [next .wrl line 14279]
>
> found protonode ColorPicker, iicm.vrml.pw.ProtoNode at da52a1
> <!-- Transparency picker   -->
> [next .wrl line 14290]
>
> found protonode BWSlider, iicm.vrml.pw.ProtoNode at a1d830
> <!-- Shininess picker   -->
> [next .wrl line 14301]
>
> found protonode BWSlider, iicm.vrml.pw.ProtoNode at a1d830
> [DefParserOutput.error] node == null, ignored

the resulting X3D was incomplete.  here is the partial output,
perhaps where it broke will offer some clue.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE X3D PUBLIC "ISO//Web3D//DTD X3D 3.1//EN" "http://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.1.dtd">
<X3D version="3.1" profile="Immersive">
 <head>
 </head>
 <Scene>
  <NavigationInfo  headlight="true" type='"EXAMINE" "ANY"' speed="0.5" avatarSize=" 0.15 1.53 0.75"/>
  <Background  DEF="Background"  skyColor="0.6 0.6 0.8 "/>
  <ProtoDeclare name="GeneralCylinder">
    <ProtoInterface>
      <field  name="radius" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="height" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="appearance" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
      </field>
      <field  name="axis" type="SFVec3f" value="0.0 1.0 0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="offset" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
    </ProtoInterface>
    <ProtoBody>
          <Transform  DEF="T" >
              <Transform  DEF="TT"  translation="0.0 0.0 0.0">
                  <Shape >
                      <IS>
                        <connect nodeField="appearance" protoField="appearance"/>
                      </IS>
                      <Box  size="1.0 1.0 1.0"/>
                  </Shape>
              </Transform>
          </Transform>
          <Script  directOutput="true">
            <field name="axis" type="SFVec3f" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="offset" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="radius" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="tt" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
              <Transform USE="TT"/>
            </field>
            <field name="height" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="t" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
              <Transform USE="T"/>
            </field>
            <IS>
            <connect nodeField="axis" protoField="axis"/>
            <connect nodeField="offset" protoField="offset"/>
            <connect nodeField="radius" protoField="radius"/>
            <connect nodeField="height" protoField="height"/>
            </IS>
            <![CDATA[javascript:
			function initialize() {
				tt.translation = new SFVec3f(
					0, offset*height/2, 0 );
				tt.scale = new SFVec3f(
					radius*2, height, radius*2 );
				var c = axis[2];
				var s = -axis[0];
				var r = Math.sqrt( c*c+s*s );
				var h = axis[1];
				var theta = Math.atan2( r, h );
				if (r != 0) {
					t.rotation = new SFRotation( c, 0, s, theta );
				} else if (h < 0) {
					t.rotation = new SFRotation( 1, 0, 0, 3.1415926535 );
				}
			}

            ]]>
          </Script>
    </ProtoBody>
  </ProtoDeclare>
  <ProtoDeclare name="GeneralCone">
    <ProtoInterface>
      <field  name="height" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="appearance" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
      </field>
      <field  name="halfAngle" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="axis" type="SFVec3f" value="1.0 0.0 0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="centre" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="bottomRadius" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="maxSize" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="slopeHeight" type="SFFloat" value="0.0" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
    </ProtoInterface>
    <ProtoBody>
          <Transform  DEF="T" >
              <Transform  DEF="TT"  translation="0.0 -0.5 0.0">
                  <Shape >
                      <IS>
                        <connect nodeField="appearance" protoField="appearance"/>
                      </IS>
                      <Cone  height="1.0" bottomRadius="1.0"/>
                  </Shape>
              </Transform>
          </Transform>
          <Script  directOutput="true">
            <field name="centre" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="slopeHeight" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="axis" type="SFVec3f" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="bottomRadius" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="tt" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
              <Transform USE="TT"/>
            </field>
            <field name="halfAngle" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="maxSize" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="height" type="SFFloat" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
            <field name="t" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">
              <Transform USE="T"/>
            </field>
            <IS>
            <connect nodeField="centre" protoField="centre"/>
            <connect nodeField="slopeHeight" protoField="slopeHeight"/>
            <connect nodeField="axis" protoField="axis"/>
            <connect nodeField="bottomRadius" protoField="bottomRadius"/>
            <connect nodeField="halfAngle" protoField="halfAngle"/>
            <connect nodeField="maxSize" protoField="maxSize"/>
            <connect nodeField="height" protoField="height"/>
            </IS>
            <![CDATA[javascript:
			function initialize() {
				if (halfAngle == 0) {
					if (bottomRadius <= 0) {
						if (slopeHeight==0) {
							if (height==0) { height = maxSize; }
							bottomRadius = maxSize/2;
							halfAngle = Math.atan2( bottomRadius, height );
						} else if ((height > 0) && (slopeHeight > height)) {
							halfAngle = Math.acos( height/slopeHeight );
						} else if ((height < 0) && (slopeHeight > -height)) {
							halfAngle = Math.acos( -height/slopeHeight );
						} else if (maxSize > 0) {
							height = maxSize;
							bottomRadius = maxSize/2;
							halfAngle = Math.atan2( bottomRadius, height );
						} else {
							// error
						}
					} else if (height > 0) {
						halfAngle = Math.atan2( bottomRadius, height );
					} else if (height < 0) {
						halfAngle = Math.atan2( bottomRadius, -height );
					} else if (slopeHeight > 0) {
						halfAngle = Math.asin( bottomRadius/slopeHeight );
					} else if (maxSize > 0) {
						height = maxSize;
						if (bottomRadius > maxSize/2) {
							height *= (bottomRadius+bottomRadius)/maxSize;
							bottomRadius = maxSize/2;
						}
					} else {
						// error
					}
				}
				var br = Math.tan( halfAngle );
				if (height==0) {
					if (bottomRadius != 0) {
						height = bottomRadius / br;
					} else if (slopeHeight != 0) {
						height = slopeHeight*Math.cos(halfAngle);
						if (height < 0) {
							height = -height;
						}
					} else {
						if (br > 1) {
							height = maxSize/(2*br);
						} else if (br < -1) {
							height /= -maxSize/(2*br);
						} else {
							height = maxSize;
						}
					}
				}
				if (br < 0) {
					br = -br;
					tt.rotation = new SFRotation( 1, 0, 0, 3.1416926535 );
					tt.translation = new SFVec3f( 0, 0.5, 0 );
				}
				t.scale = new SFVec3f( br*height, height, br*height );
				var l = axis.length();
				if (l==0) { return; }
				var angle = Math.acos( -axis[1]/l );
				var rotAxis = new SFVec3f( -axis[2], 0, axis[0] );
				var rl = rotAxis.length();
				if (rl==0) {
					rotAxis = new SFVec3f( 1, 0, 0 );
				} else {
					rotAxis[0] /= rl;
					rotAxis[1] /= rl;
					rotAxis[2] /= rl;
				}
				if (centre != 0) {
					var shiftAmount = -centre*height/l;
					var shiftAxis = new SFVec3f(
						axis[0]*shiftAmount,
						axis[1]*shiftAmount,
						axis[2]*shiftAmount );
					t.translation = shiftAxis;
				}
				t.rotation = new SFRotation( rotAxis, angle );
				return;
			}

            ]]>
          </Script>
    </ProtoBody>
  </ProtoDeclare>
  <ProtoDeclare name="Octahedron">
    <ProtoInterface>
    <ProtoBody>
          <IndexedFaceSet  coordIndex=" 0 2 4 -1 4 3 0 -1 5 2 0 -1 0 3 5 -1 1 2 5 -1 5 3 1 -1 4 2 1 -1 1 3 4 -1" creaseAngle="3.0">
              <Coordinate  point="1.0 0.0 0.0, -1.0 0.0 0.0, 0.0 1.0 0.0, 0.0 -1.0 0.0, 0.0 0.0 1.0, 0.0 0.0 -1.0, "/>
          </IndexedFaceSet>
    </ProtoBody>
  </ProtoDeclare>
  <ProtoDeclare name="RhomboOctahedron">
    <ProtoInterface>
    <ProtoBody>
          <IndexedFaceSet  coordIndex=" 0 6 8 -1 0 8 12 -1 0 12 10 -1 0 10 6 -1 1 7 11 -1 1 11 13 -1 1 13 9 -1 1 9 7 -1 2 6 10 -1 2 10 11 -1 2 11 7 -1 2 7 6 -1 3 8 9 -1 3 9 13 -1 3 13 12 -1 3 12 8 -1 4 6 7 -1 4 7 9 -1 4 9 8 -1 4 8 6 -1 5 10 12 -1 5 12 13 -1 5 13 11 -1 5 11 10 -1" creaseAngle="3.0">
              <Coordinate  point="1.0 0.0 0.0, -1.0 0.0 0.0, 0.0 1.0 0.0, 0.0 -1.0 0.0, 0.0 0.0 1.0, 0.0 0.0 -1.0, 0.577 0.577 0.577, -0.577 0.577 0.577, 0.577 -0.577 0.577, -0.577 -0.577 0.577, 0.577 0.577 -0.577, -0.577 0.577 -0.577, 0.577 -0.577 -0.577, -0.577 -0.577 -0.577, "/>
          </IndexedFaceSet>
    </ProtoBody>
  </ProtoDeclare>
  <ProtoDeclare name="DefaultAppearance">
    <ProtoInterface>
      <field  name="transparency" type="SFFloat" value="0.5" accessType="inputOutput"/>
      <field  name="color" type="SFColor" value="1.0 0.7 0.05" accessType="inputOutput"/>
      <field  name="shininess" type="SFFloat" value="0.2" accessType="inputOutput"/>
    </ProtoInterface>
    <ProtoBody>
          <Appearance >
              <Material >
                  <IS>
                    <connect nodeField="transparency" protoField="transparency"/>
                    <connect nodeField="shininess" protoField="shininess"/>
                    <connect nodeField="diffuseColor" protoField="color"/>
                    <connect nodeField="specularColor" protoField="color"/>
                  </IS>
              </Material>
          </Appearance>
    </ProtoBody>
  </ProtoDeclare>
  <ProtoDeclare name="DefaultBlob">
    <ProtoInterface>
      <field  name="radius" type="SFFloat" value="0.0050" accessType="initializeOnly"/>
      <field  name="appearance" type="SFNode" accessType="initializeOnly">

The X3D Resources page lists a number of viewers and also many converters:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Applications
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Conversions

I'd expect that repeated testing will isolate the problem.  If you get a
full X3D scene then there are additional validation tests that I can run.

Hope this helps, good luck with your work Richard.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman