[X3D-Public] Question about references to ProtoInstance

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Mon May 9 10:38:22 PDT 2011

Hello X3D-public

I've got a question, that may be academic, but I did not find an answer and I'm being curious.

Assume we have a proto instance

  <ProtoInstance DEF="MyProtoInst" name="ProtoName"/>

and we would like to refer to the proto instance in a field of a script node.

I tried following

  <Script>
    <field accessType="inputOutput" name="myRef" type="SFNode">
      <ProtoInstance USE="MyProtoInst" name="ProtoName"/>
    </field>
  </Script>

but I had problems (it was long ago, I cannot remember the problems accurately).

On the other hand, the following proved to work in many X3D players (replacing ProtoInstance by Script).

  <Script>
    <field accessType="inputOutput" name="myRef" type="SFNode">
      <Script USE="MyProtoInst"/>
    </field>
  </Script>

Is this by intention by the standard or is "just an accident"?

As I said, only being curious.

Kind regards
Christoph