[X3D-Public] Draconian restrictions on Inline loading of X3D content

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:01:52 PDT 2011

Don Brutzman wrote:
> Wondering, do people agree that we might allow browsers to optionally
> support inlined content above the specified level of the parent
> (as defined in the specification) if they are able to do so.

I absolutely agree, you give good reasoning.

view3dscene never did, and never will, implement this limitation ---
there is no need for it. We allow inlined content to have
components/levels requirements independent from the parent world
requirements. Like you say --- why should we abort, when we can handle
the content without problems?

I understand the rationale behind it ("if a browser needs to make some
intensive preparations to handle a given set of components/levels, and
for some reason it cannot add higher components/levels when the world is
running, then it may require that inlined content uses only a subset of
parent components"). However, I don't know if any actual browser has
this issue, and I would say that this is an implementation issue of said
browser anyway. Why should other (better) browsers suffer from it?

Of course, it will be interesting to hear what other browser
implementors think about this.

Michalis