[X3D-Public] Examples for NURBS surface rendering in X3D

Vincent Marchetti vmarchetti at ameritech.net
Thu Sep 1 09:03:38 PDT 2011

To the group:

I have been surveying the current implementations of the NURBS Component among readily available browsers, to support work I've been doing on generating X3D models from of STEP (CAD) files (see http://www.kshell.com/pages/x3d_cad/ ). I've developed some test files giving demonstrations of the NurbsPatchSurface and NurbsTrimmedSurface nodes.  I've found the following browsers that render some or all of these models:
-- Octaga Player
-- Instant Player
-- BS Contact
-- view3dscene (part of the Kambi game engine)

I'd like to make the demo files and results of my survey available for comment; at http://www.kshell.com/pages/nurbs_surface_demo/

One thing I've found is that there is a divergence among these implementations as to how the parametric coordinate system is mapped onto the rendered surface, leading to a difference among the browsers in how they handle texturing and trimming.

I look forward to discussing these results, I'd be particularly interested in finding out about any other implementations of the NURBS Component of X3D.

Thanks for your interest,

Vincent Marchetti
KShell Analysis

vmarchetti at ameritech.net