[X3D-Public] Web3D's SIGGRAPH Wrap-Up

Anita Havele anita.havele at web3d.org
Fri Sep 9 14:37:07 PDT 2011

Web3D at SIGGRAPH
Fall 2011

Over 500 people attended seven BOF and Tech Talk meetings, with many
more visiting the Web3D exhibition booth on the show floor. News
highlights for SIGGRAPH activities included:

 Augmented reality <#fall2011-ar>

 HTML5/DOM interoperability <#fall2011-html5>

 Medical standards progress <#fall2011-medical>

 Commercial progress <#fall2011-commercial>

 Korea chapter meeting <#fall2011-korea>

Thank you for visiting the Web3D Consortium booth, attending our Tech
Talk, or one of our Birds of a Feather at SIGGRAPH 2011. We showcased
the broad impact of our X3D Standard for 3D graphics over the web.
This year has been particularly exciting, our new technologies x3dom,
X3D/AR, and Declarative 3D and other initiatives has given X3D more
recognition. If you visited our booth, you saw Web3D and our partners;
demonstrate the latest breakthrough technologies based on the X3D/VRML
solutions showcasing cutting-edge 3D visualization capabilities
including, x3dom and Augmented Reality across a broad range of
engineering, medical and geospatial applications.

Programmers, animators, artists, and 3D graphics experts around the
world are adopting X3D for its:

 Powerful optimized visualization of real time 3D graphics on the Web
including Augmented and Mixed Reality.
 Easy-to-create interactive 3D content
 Robust interoperability and import/export formats
 Support of native 3D within an HTML5 page.

Commercial Progress
Highlighted at the booth were Bitmanagement
<http://www.bitmanagement.com/>
's Virtual worlds showing integrated X3D-Earth landscapes and complete
city models. Textured 3D models of complete cities constructed
automatically and visualized with the high performing C++ BS Contact
Geo VRML/X3D running on Google Android, Apple iOS and Mac, Windows,
and Linux. Fraunhofer
<http://www.igd.fraunhofer.de/en/Institut/Abteilungen/Virtuelle-und-Erweiterte-Realit%C3%A4t>
's Augmented Reality demonstration of virtual objects merged into real
scenes using X3D-based applications were shown cross platforms
including an iPhone. Their x3dom demonstrations proved that X3D can
indeed run in a native browser without plug-ins.

x3dom was also presented at the the Web3D and the WebGL BoF. Web3D
Consortium member Fraunhofer <http://www.igd.fraunhofer.de/en>
's JavaScript-based X3D player, fully integrated with HTML with no
plug-ins currently supported in Chrome, Firefox and Safari browser.
For more information see x3dom project and example implementations
<http://www.x3dom.org/>
.

HTML5/DOM Interoperability
 	Our X3D/HTML5
<http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5>
 and Declarative 3D
<http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5>
 BoF discussed the efforts of the recently formed World Wide Web
Consortium's (W3C) Declarative 3D for the Web Architecture Community
Group <http://www.w3.org/community/declarative3d/>
 chartered to examine the requirements, options, and use cases for an
integration of interactive 3D graphics capabilities into the W3C
technology stack. This effort has strategic importance for Web3D and
indeed for all 3D graphics, since X3D is an interchange format for a
wide variety of models. We intend to establish a solid foundation for
X3D to properly support 3D graphics for the native Web page.

Augmented Reality
 	The X3D AR BoF updated the community about the new Web3D AR working
group <http://web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_Augmented_Reality>
 and how X3D capabilities can be extended to support augmented reality
(AR) and mixed reality (MR) applications. Current work in AR is
focused on harmonizing proven capabilities into best practices for AR
and 3D graphics, implementable by multiple X3D viewers and usable by
content authors.

Medical Standards Progress
The X3D Medical <http://www.web3d.org/x3d/workgroups/medical/>
 BoF discussed and demonstrated volume rendering capabilities for
viewing 3D scans and objects using X3D; we also provided an update on
our activities with the DICOM <http://medical.nema.org/>
 standards organization in standardizing the presentation 3D medical
images.

Korea Chapter Meeting
At the Web3D Korea Chapter <http://www.web3d.kr/>
 BoF the Korean group discussed their current initiatives on the X3D
specification: E-Learning, X3D mobile functions and X3D for Augmented
reality. Web3D recently started their China Chapter, where several
initatives to expand the X3D specifications are being proposed.

Use of X3D systems has increased steadily throughout the world,
delivering durable applications in industry, science, medicine,
culture, entertainment, education and now Augmented Reality. Our ever
popular Web3D Tech Talk showcased cutting-edge INNOVATIVE cross
platform X3D and VRML content, speakers discussed their product
development and deployment going from concept to the final product.

X3D (What is X3D
<http://www.web3d.org/documents/What_is_X3DJuly2010.pdf>
) remains the most widely used standard for the implementation of high
integrity and high capability 3D systems. For a list of recent
projects using X3D see X3D Use Cases
<http://www.web3d.org/casestudies>
 and X3D Adoption <http://www.web3d.org/event/s2010/X3DAdoption.pdf>
. Experience the power of the only ISO certified, royalty free
open-standard 3D implementation for the Web. Use X3D visualization and
animation software and services for several market sectors like,
Geospatial, Medical, BIM, and Virtual Worlds. Explore X3D Earth
integrated with cityscapes, X3D content playing on the iPhones. X3D
ensures interoperability, longevity and ownership of your content.

 Due to the large interest in X3D, there were several discussions,
meetings and BoFs at SIGGRAPH. Slide sets on x3dom
<http://www.web3d.org/event/s2010/HTML5-X3D-Integration.pdf>
 and Augmented Reality
<http://web3d.org/realtime-3d/files/documents/S2011/amr_Extending-X3D-AR-MR-Apps_keil.pdf>
 are available along with other SIGGRAPH 2011 slide sets
<http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/presentations/siggraph-2011>
. There has never been a better time to engage in the Web3D Consortium
and it's standard X3D. We look forward to your participation.

Upcoming Events
OGC Plenary Meeting <http://new.web3d.org/events/ogc-tcpc-meetings>
 – Boulder, CO - Sep 19-23, 2011
AR Standards Meeting
<http://new.web3d.org/events/fourth-international-ar-standards-meeting>
 – Basel, SW - Oct 23-25, 2011
W3C TPAC 2011
<http://new.web3d.org/events/tpac-2011-w3c-technical-plenary-advisory-committee-meetings>
 – Santa Clara, CA - Oct 31- Nov 3, 2011
ISO-JTC – San Diego, CA - Nov 7-10, 2011
SIGGRPAPH Asia 2011 <http://new.web3d.org/events/siggraph-asia-2011>
 – Hong Kong, China - Dec 11-15, 2011

--
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters,