[X3D-Public] 3D in HTML! What a great new idea!

Joshua Smith jesmith at kaon.com
Thu Aug 9 08:39:51 PDT 2012

In Mobile, only high-end devices have high-performance 3D graphics hardware (and the term "high-performance" is a stretch, as it is nothing like high-performance desktop hardware). In particular, you need a genuine certified genius to get decent lighting performance out of these things. The vast majority of mobile devices in people's hands internationally have no 3D hardware to speak of.

Almost no embedded devices have 3D chips. That's just wishful thinking.

As for WebGL, I'm worried about the priorities of the vendors. I've found that it is trivially easy to construct scenes which not only kill the browser, but take the entire O/S down with them. Google & Mozilla need to put protecting end-users higher in their list of priorities, or there is going to be a backlash. (And MS is absolutely right about the "attack surface" problem.)

We've yet to see WebGL functioning well enough on a mobile device to be a viable alternative to native.

And WebGL in the enterprise has a huge hole in it labeled IE (WebGL in Enterprise Web Apps? Uh, no. | kaon).

But the reason I posted this link in the first place is that it reads like these guys are just "inventing" VRML or X3D all over again. I can see why they might want to revise history, but acting like it never happened saps their credibility.

-Joshua